gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
15362 Posts in 944 Topics by 1714 Members - Latest Member: lin April 25, 2014, 03:02:22 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Gensokyo.org  |  Touhou Discussion  |  Games  |  How did you discover Touhou?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How did you discover Touhou?  (Read 18538 times)

Camni

• ^_^
    • View Profile
How did you discover Touhou?
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:04:31 AM »
I discovered Touhou when I was watching a guy on youtube named 'Bigal2k6' and in one of his Christmas videos, he added Suika Ibuki in for humor (Her IaMP artwork). He pretended she was drunk on eggnog and screamed ''MERRY CHRISTMAS SUIKA'' and ofcourse she woke up and blasted him with Sony vegas energy effects lol. Suikas theme from IaMP was playing at this time and I thought to myself, ''This music is awesome and this Suika character looks cool''. So I researched Touhou (as he had mentioned it when talking to Suika in the video) and was confused at first as I thought, with all the fanart and stuff, that it was an anime or something. Then I looked on Wikipedia and Touhou Wiki (or Wikia whatever you want to call it) and discovered it was infact a game.

Thats how I found out about it and have loved it ever since. Plus Suika became my favourite character. (Still love the others though don't get me wrong :P)

What about you?

EDIT: Heres the video incase your curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xRvgoOQtfg
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:16:02 AM by Camni »
Reisen :)

Neko Patchy

• Neko Patchy is in control
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover Touhou?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:22:50 AM »
My friend shoe me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qS1kqhhebw
Then after a bit I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGYVfOEC5p0 then I searched for more info on touhou and tada~ I found it.

Smoku

• My favorite character changes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:37:37 PM »
I'm a regular at 4chan's /c/ board. And there were many pretty special character threads. I always asked "which anime is she from?" and I received answer "Not anime. Touhou" so many times, I had to explore. And voila.

jimreynold2nd

• Oh look! An engineer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
Well, I was in highschool in Vietnam when my friend gave me a copy of IN. It wasn't English-patched, all I could read was "8th Project Shrine Maiden" and the menu. I couldn't get past Mystia on normal at first (heck, I didn't even know the name of any character back then, it was all in Japanese), but I kept playing the game for a month coz the music was awesome. That lasted for 2 or 3 weeks, which I somehow managed to get to fight Reimu using Sakuya/Remi.
Then 2 years ago, I discovered Vocaloid. While trying to find Luka's songs I stumbled across gensokyomemories.blogspot.com by Zeovalguar (he zipped and uploaded his Vocaloid directory there). In his blog he had a Mixpod (a flash applet that plays Youtube playlist) and it played Neko Miko Reimu. I was like... hmm... the song is so familiar, and I've seen that girl before... Then I began searching

And that's how I started.

Camni

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
Cool. All interesting so far. Hopefully Ill get to hear more :P
Reisen :)

FlyingDango

• Nameless Fairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
About 2 years ago, I stumbled upon the doujin Touhou OVA by Maikaze. I thought "Hey, their heads look like potatoes, hahaha".Then I found out there was no episode 2, so I didn't do any further research on the games.But last summer, someone commented on an AMV of mine, saying that I should make an AMV of Umineko no Naku Koro ni using a song called "Bad Apple !".Once again, I thought "What a silly name for a song", but watched the vid on YT, and that was it.I was curious about the girl with the psycho smile.And now, here I am.

Mushyrulez

• View Profile
    • Mushyrulez's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:09:43 PM »
I thought "Hey, their heads look like potatoes, hahaha".

I think I'd like to quote that again.

I thought "Hey, their heads look like potatoes, hahaha".

Anyways, my brother played Touhou from somewhere, brought it to China, had nothing to do, so I played Touhou. :V

HalonBreach

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
Typed in "Bullet Hell" on wikipedia after I had read an article using the term.

MasterDevon

• Nameless Fairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
I've heard it mentioned here and there before. a tower defence game called "Immortal Defence" has a point (tower) called the Danmaku point.

but the main thing that got me curious was the secret Touhou faction in a game called "Kernel Panic" made in the spring rts engine. It was odd and out of place, and features Daiyousai as the infantry unit, Alice as the builder, reimu as a wide shot unit, and marisa as a heavy artillery unit.

one day, after seeing several Touhou characters for Mugen, a fighting game engine, I decided to look up touhou.

ContractorZ

• Sukuna die Jaeger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
Originally the tales of Touhou were whispered by a friend of mine, who called them "bullet hells" and spoke of them as the most hardcore of shooters.  Then one day I became interested and got a copy of I Wanna Be The Guy, and after gaining the values of patience and masochism I beat it over time.  Because of that experience I sought to play games that were in any way related to IWBTG, leading to me trying series such as Castlevania, Ikaruga, and Gradius, which further led to PC console ROMs that inevitably brought me to Mother 3.
But as to how this all relates to Touhou IWBTG got me into Gradius, and after beating Gradius V I thought about shooters and about taking on Touhou as a summer challenge (also Marisa Stole the Precious Thing piqued my interest considerably).  After some research I plucked up a courage and found a copy of EoSD, found that it wasn't entirely the merciless shooter my friend thought it was, and the rest as they say is history.
And by history I mean a torrid period of months of acquiring more games, failing and beating them, and facing Extra Bosses, all the while wrapped up in a madness brought about by the series' hauntingly awesome music.
Some nights I cannot sleep either because a theme is on perma-play in my head or I see bullet curtains that I'm mentally trying to navigate but it's all too overwhelming!
Well was; I eventually got over it in a year's time.  Now I'm haunted by the sounds of Castlevania.
"I don't have anything against you, but I can make up lots of reasons to attack you." -Parsee Mizuhashi

*Conqueror of Nazrim, WoW Tour '10!*

imthestrongest

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:59:04 PM »
How my Touhou experience began like most others. With this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssh71hePR8Q

I'm not sure how, but I managed to watch the full video. After closely listening to it, I was hearing the background tune of the song, and really, REALLY liked it. I asked my friend (Who sent me the video) what the song was, and he told me the song was U.N.Owen Was Her. I was confused cause I never heard it before. Then he showed me the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nb5Ohbt1Sg

After that, he sent me Touhou 08. I loved the game ever since.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

CrimsonDX

• Nameless Fairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:55:55 PM »
I grew to love looking at pictures of them on Danbooru and Gelbooru and such. I finally looked up "Touhou", saw that it was a game and decided to give it a shot. Died quite quickly I mite add.

Mushyrulez

• View Profile
    • Mushyrulez's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
I love looking at pictures on Danbooru.

:V

Smoku

• My favorite character changes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »

That I can't understand- what's so bad in Danbooru? I just simply don't know, but I see hostility towards that site. What about it?

ShinyMoogle

• Nameless Fairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »

That I can't understand- what's so bad in Danbooru? I just simply don't know, but I see hostility towards that site. What about it?

There's a lot of good fanwork on that site, but... well, there's a reason you're supposed to be 18+ when you enter it. If you know what I mean.

Also, I was introduced to Touhou when a friend of mine decided to bring an old laptop in and started playing several of the games from the series (I can remember UFO and StB, there were definitely others as well). It sorta sat in the back of my mind for a while; I knew about it, but didn't want to try a game like that. Well, about a year later, some guy on GameFAQs brought it up and mentioned EoSD as a good starting point; I tried it, and... well, here I am. :D

Gensokyo.org  |  Touhou Discussion  |  Games  |  How did you discover Touhou?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx